Summer Herb Recipe
Light, herb-steamed Cod
This combination of cod together with Gou Qi Zi/lycii berries, Long Yan Rou/logan berries and Sheng Jiang/fresh ginger makes this recipe sweet and tasty while being nourishing to the skin, eyes and Heart. This delicious, light mixture is known to have clearing properties for the whole system.
- 8 oz. cod
- 1/2 oz. Gou Qi Zi/Lycium barbarum fruit, lycii berries
- 2 oz. Long Yan Rou, longan fruit
- 3 pcs shiitake mushroom cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 oz. julienned fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A few sprigs of cilantro
Begin by preparing all ingredients:
- Soak shiitake mushroom and Long Yan Rou in 5 cups of warm water.
- After 10 minutes, add Gou Qi Zi and soak for additional 10 minutes.
- Drain liquid from soaking herbs into bottom of pan.
- Cut mushrooms into bite size pieces, dice bell peppers and set all ingredients aside.
- Place spacer into pan with the water making sure water does not reach top of spacer.
- Place steamer with plate in it onto spacer.
- Place washed and de-scaled cod on plate. If using a fillet, place skin side on bottom.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and dash of pepper evenly over cod.
- Pile the other ingredients on top of cod in this order: shiitake, ginger, Long Yan Rou, Gou Qi Zi.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Bring water to boil and then cover with bamboo steamer top.
- Allow to steam for 15 minutes, then carefully remove plate from steamer with plate tongs.
- Garnish liberally with cilantro and serve.