Summer Herb Recipe
Tian Men Dong, Lemongrass & Bean Curd Soup
Lemongrass and Tian Men Dong are cooling and Yin nourishing, a perfect summertime combination to clear the overheating effects of high temperatures, and both contain many micronutrients. Shiitake mushrooms nourish and support the immune system. Sweet and cooling tofu is rich in essential amino acids, and like lemongrass, contains vitamins A and B.
- 2 oz. Tian men dong/Asparagus cochinchinensis tuber in 1 cup water
- 1-2 stalks of lemongrass or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried lemongrass
- 8 oz. silken style tofu
- 2 oz. fresh bean sprouts
- 3-4 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups miso soup or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil to garnish
- Tamari or soy sauce and/or dried seaweed, to taste
- Wash the Tian men dong/asparagus tuber and soak in a bowl with 1 cup of water for 20 minutes. Then pour into a small pot, bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- If using whole lemongrass stalks, cut off the green leaves and use only the base of the stalk. Remove the tough outer layers and slice the stem into several pieces.
- Strain the tofu and cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Wash Shiitake mushrooms and slice thin or leave whole.
- Combine in a large pot miso soup/chicken broth, Tian men dong/asparagus tuber (including the water it was simmering in), lemongrass, tofu, and bean sprouts. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and add tamari or soy sauce and/or dried seaweed to taste.