The following are the Terms and Conditions by which Mayway Corporation, a California Corporation (“Mayway”) will receive, consider and may publish articles of interest to our professional acupuncture community in our digital newsletter (“Newsletter”). If you are submitting an article for consideration, please date and sign these Terms and Conditions indicating your agreement and transmit it to us along with the article that you desire us to consider for publication.
Our main goal for the Newsletter is to further practitioner education and to share knowledge, research, and industry news within the TCM community. We also welcome lighter articles, such as updates from TCM-related non-profit organizations, herbal recipes, interesting case anecdotes, etc. Our Newsletter reaches over 11,000 subscribers and is an excellent way for article authors to reach practitioners across the country. Articles are also shared on our websites and social media, broadening exposure.
Guidelines for article submissions:
- Submissions of approximately 1,500-2000 words are encouraged. Longer articles may need to be published in two or more parts. If you are addressing a topic that requires a great deal of exposition, please submit individual articles (e.g., part 1, part 2, etc.) for consideration.
- Submissions of previously published material are acceptable if authored by you along with the consent, if required, from any prior publication. Please include a link to your prior publication, along with the name of the publication and the date of publication.
- Include complete references for all article submissions that rely on published research or other material that is not your own and is not readily known to the reader.
- If your article contains photos/images/etc., attach these as individual files and provide complete captions. Images should be high resolution, 300 dpi, 450 x 600 pixels or higher, preferably in .jpg or .tif format. If you do not own the photo/image copyright, indicate if the photo/image is in the public domain or if the copyright owner’s consent is required. Include proof of that consent.
- Enclose a current curriculum vitae and/or biography with your article submission, along with a quality photo/headshot.
- Do not submit articles that are commercial or promotional with respect to products outside of what Mayway carries. Any such references may be omitted or reworded in general terms. Articles that focus on proprietary techniques or products may be considered for publication but require permission from all relevant parties.
- Do not include “medical claims” regarding an herbal remedy which may violate the FDA’s restrictions for marketing supplements, including herbal remedies, whether or not offered for sale by Mayway. Descriptive and structural TCM analysis is encouraged. For a better understanding of this complex issue, check out our article about Claims and the FDA.
- We review all article submissions and will review each submitted article as soon as practicable. We will notify you by email if we intend to publish your submitted article. The decision to publish an article is exclusively at Mayway’s discretion, as is the date of publication, if published. Accepted articles are usually published within 3-5 months of acceptance. Our editorial panel considers a range of factors in determining if an article should be accepted for publication, including: the topic of the article; its relevancy to the profession and our readership; the qualifications of the author to speak on that topic; the quality of the writing including overall readability of the article; the uniqueness of the topic with respect to recently published articles and/or content already scheduled for publication; and space restrictions.
- Mayway has its own editorial convention regarding TCM nomenclature, and may edit accordingly:
- TCM terms such as "Liver," "Heart," "Wind-damp," "Cold," etc. will be capitalized.
- Pinyin will be italicized.
- Botanical names will be listed with genus, species, and relevant plant part.
- The first letter of each syllable of formula names will be capitalized, e.g., "Xiao Yao San."
- Only the first letter of herb pinyin names will be capitalized, e.g., "Wang bu liu xing."
- Chinese characters for specific TCM terms and historical reference texts may be added.
- Authors may be asked to record their article for our “Chinese Medicine Matters” podcast https://www.mayway.com/podcasts. Recordings should be made in environments and with equipment suitable to ensure as crisp and clear a recording as possible (often a quiet room and the microphone on a good quality headset is enough). We have found that the free version of Audacity software to record is easy to use, but if you are more familiar with another program, please use whatever is comfortable for you. Please submit recordings to us in an MP3 format.
- Presently, we offer an honorarium of $100.00 for podcast recordings.
Please get in touch with us for a list of preferred topics or to discuss this opportunity further. Feel free to have a subject in mind that we may have left off our list!
To view previous submitted articles, please visit our main articles page https://www.mayway.com/articles or our newsletter archives https://www.mayway.com/newsletters. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started or with any questions. Thank you again for your interest, and we look forward to reading your submission!